Let’s talk diaper bag essentials. I remember the first time I left the house with Mark neurotically reviewing checklists I found online. Did I have everything? What if this happened? Or that? What if, what if, what if. It felt a bit daunting in the beginning and I was definitely WAY over packed. Months later, I have narrowed our list down to the essentials (aka things we actually use) and am sharing our list with you.
First up, our bag. We use the Fawn Design Brown and I absolutely love it. It is a beautiful chestnut color and is 100% wipeable faux leather both inside and out. It can be worn as a backpack, messenger bag, or cross body bag making it extremely versatile. It’s interior has great pockets for all the essentials and exterior pockets make it easy to grab things I frequently used (like my phone & keys). Most importantly, my husband doesn’t mind carrying it, as it is a backpack & gender neutral. It goes everywhere with us – from the grocery store to Switzerland & Italy! Later this year I’ll be doing a side by side comparison between our Fawn Design bag & the soon to be released Freshly Picked diaper bag I purchased as part of their kickstarter program.
So, what exactly is inside our bag? Let’s start with the obvious, diapering supplies.
- Diapers – For typical daily outings, we keep 4 diapers which fit perfectly into one of the interior pockets.
- Wipes – We always make sure to have a pack of these wipes.
- Portable Changing Pad – A must have for on the go diaper changes – particularly in Europe where infant changing pads are a rarity. This one rolls up, is ultra compact & takes up minimal space in the bag.
- Reuseable Washable Zipper Bag– Having a sealed space to toss any dirty clothing makes dealing with blow outs & accidents much simplier.
- Hand Sanitizer – obviously!
Next up is our on the go feeding supplies!
- Nursing Cover – Mark is still exclusively breastfed and we always use a nursing cover when out as he gets easily distracted these days. My favorite are those by Covered Goods which are multi-purpose and we also use as a car seat cover.
- Burp Cloths – I usually keep two – a small one (like Kissy Kissy) and a larger one (like Aden + Anais)
- Soft Cotton Bibs – These keep Mark’s outfits from being drenched in teething drool and will be 110% necessary once he starts eating food on the go.
- Food – We aren’t on solid foods just yet, but I picked up a few small containers that will easily fit in our bag for snacks / meals once we are ready to tackle solids.
Followed by clothing & cotton items we keep packed.
- A Change of Clothes – A onesie, cotton pants, and a spare pair of socks for Mark. I also keep an extra tank top for myself just in case. I am happy to report, we only had to use our change of clothing once so far!
- A lightweight jacket – The weather changes rapidly in Belgium so we always make sure to have a cotton jacket on hand in case it gets cool.
- Muslin Swaddle Blanket – Great for tossing down to prevent baby from touching anything you don’t want their little hands on. These also double as a back up nursing cover, burp cloth, or sun shade in the car.
- Cotton Blanket – Mark seems to prefer cotton blankets so we keep one packed to cover his legs from the sun in the stroller or incase it gets breezy.
And of course a few toys & random other little things.
- A hat – As we frequently carry Mark in our Ergo 360, we always have a hat on hand. We find baseball hats work best when he is forward facing in the carrier.
- Sophie So Pure Teether – This is one of Mark’s favorite teething toys these days.
- Wooden Teething Ring – For when he decides he no long wants Sophie, he always looks for a wooden toy like this.
- Pacifier Clips – A great way to make sure your baby’s favorite toys (especially those going in their mouth) never hit the ground and stay nice & clean.
- Infant Sun Screen – Belgium has a great 100% organic & natural sunscreen made for babies 0+ months and older. While we try to limit Mark’s exposure to any direct sun, we always keep this on hand just in case.
- DLS Camera – When we are out exploring & traveling, I always toss in my camera and still have room to spare!
What are your diaper bag must haves?