Picturesque Positano. Ravishing Ravello. Charming Capri. Needless to say, we had an outstanding getaway along the Amalfi Coast this past week. It took a little planning to address the logistics to get our 5 month munchkin to this slightly remote destination, but with a little work we were able to have a wonderful family vacation. The Amalfi Coast is one of the most beautiful landscapes I have seen and I am so fortunate our little family had the opportunity to explore & relax in the beauty of these stunning coastal towns.
We picked Positano as home base knowing it was where we wanted to spend most of our time. I had a little insight as I briefly visited parts of the Amalfi Coast in 2012, so I knew town hopping with a baby would be challenging. Positano is a bit more expensive then some of the surrounding towns, but it is totally worth it. We stayed at Hotel Punta Regina, a lovely luxury boutique hotel situated in an ideal location in Positano.
We decided to spend most of our time in Positano but also wanted to plan a few day trips. We decided on a half day trip to Capri and an all day excursion to visit Ravello & Amalfi. For Capri we opted to take the public ferry & explore the town on our own. For Ravello & Amalfi we set up a private car tour, which worked perfectly for Mark and allowed us to tailor the tour to our own needs.
Trips for traveling with tots!
- We were so so happy we went stroller free. Thankfully, Mark loves being in his carrier (we use this one) & it made it so easy to trek up the steps and hop in and out of the tiny shops!
- Splurge on a hotel room with a beautiful balcony. From previous trips we learned how valuable it is to have a balcony to relax on while baby naps. Our balcony at Hotel Punta Regina did not disappoint.
- Private car services are a must. We are all for hopping on public transportation when reliable & available, but the Amalfi Coast is not the place to gamble on buses with a baby. We pre-booked all our transfers & a private day tour which allowed for easy modifications when our munchkin got fussy (and assured his safety in car seat!)
A few favorites…
- I picked up a fabulous pair of custom sandals in Capri. With sandal shops in every town it was tricky deciding where to purchase, but the pom-pom sandals from Fiore Capri sealed the deal!
- We had a delicious meal at Da Gabrisa. Head there for stunning evening views & the most amazing homemade meatballs!
- Villa Cimbrone in Ravello is absolutely stunning! The dramatic views of the Mediterranean coast from 2500 feet above are not to be missed.
- Make sure you enjoy a glass of Prosecco while admiring the views after a busy day of exploring.